Friday, December 2, 2011

Let's Get Personal

"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night." (Psalm 1:1-2 ESV)

Do most of us today understand what it is to delight in the law of the Lord? I think we all respect the law of the Lord in some form or fashion, but do we actually find pleasure in it? Or do we find more pleasure in the counsel of the wicked? What do we meditate on day and night?

Can I get real for a second without you, the reader, getting defensive? Do you enjoy most of the garbage that the entertainment industry puts out more than you enjoy the Word of God? Do you have a greater desire to live like a celebrity or a disciple? Is the "American Dream" more appealing to you than the way of the righteous?

Don't dodge, duck, dip, dive or dodge these questions. Lets be real. I raise these questions because I know what's its like to wrestle with these misplaced desires. Can you honestly say you delight in the law of the Lord and that you meditate on it day and night? Or is your living room furniture full of seats for scoffers?

"In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches. I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways... My soul is consumed with longing for your rules at all times... Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors... Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law!.. Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it... Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways... I will lift up my hands toward your commandments, which I love, and I will meditate on your statutes... At midnight I rise to praise you, because of your righteous rules... The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces... Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day" (bits and pieces of Psalm 119)

- Terry

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Oh wow, that really spoke to me...