Monday, July 5, 2010

Why Do We Do What We Do?

"We try to manage behavior in the hope that it will change alienation (being apart from God) but the scriptures teach that alienation is handled (Christ's sacrifice) so that takes care of our evil deeds (sin)"
Matt Chandler

This really hit me today and reminded me of how my foundational instincts (which are sinful by nature) are to manage my behavior in order to draw closer to God or to reap blessings. It's crazy because I know better than to do this but yet the battle is still heavy. I keep trying to earn his love and blessings and it leads me to being depressed because my mind condemns me. But I know better because of Romans 8.

Romans 8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit."

We aleady have the victory so let's draw closer by not being strangers to His Word (reading, podcasts, church, fellowship, etc...)

I would love to hear some stories or other methods how people draw closer to the Lord.

No comments: